The only remains of Mining in Glandore
The mines are situated in the townland of Aughatubrid.
The mines were worked in the early years for the production of copper 1810-1820. Subsequently the mines were worked for manganese, which was exported to Liverpool. The mines closed in 1881, and were reopened in 1907 when manganese prices rose. Unfortunately higher costs made it unprofitable and the mines finally closed in 1911.
The ruins of the engine house and stack can be seen today, they are hidden behind the ivy in this picture.