Glandore (Cuan Dor) meaning harbour of oaks or possibly harbour of gold. Glandore is one of the prettiest villages on the south coast of Ireland. Its position in the path of the gulf stream ensures its mild climate all year round, consequently its flora is diverse and of great interest as plants are found in bloom here out of season.
A local man and amateur diver Mel Bendon discovered a sunken ship on the Danger Rock. Some of its cargo was still intact, and consisted of earthenware tiles, bowls and jugs. Little is known about the origins of this wreck or its date, but it is thought to be early to mid 1800. The picture is of a recovered bowl from the wreck.
About half-way between Glandore and Rosscarbery, near Roury, is the ruin of an old house which belonged to the Coppingers long ago (Coppingers Court). There was a big lawn in the front of the house with silver gates at the entrance. During the Rising of 1641, the house was attacked. The two silver gates were stolen.
Drombeg Stone Circle, situated about two miles south-east of Glandore village, is probably the best known archaeological site in West Cork. Before it was excavated by Professor Edward Fahy in 1957, it was known locally to the locals as the Druid’s Altar. Professor Fahy found fourteen standing stones forming a circle, the diameter of which is 9.3 meters approximately
The mines were worked in the early years for the production of copper 1810-1820. Subsequently the mines were worked for manganese, which was exported to Liverpool.